"The aim of every artist is to arrest motion, which is life, by artificial means and hold it fixed so that a
hundred years later, when a stranger looks at it, it moves again since it is life."
-William Faulkner

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Karmyn




This one was a lot of fun. I wanted to do something different for Karmyn's portrait. I didn't want to use the same techniques and supplies that were used in drawing her brothers, mostly in the spirit of learning and growing as an artist.

All of Karmyn's childhood she has had SO many pictures taken that it was getting hard to pick which one I would use for this portrait. Then one day they came home from Chucky Cheese while I was sketching and the solution literally fell on my lap. This picture was drawn from a "portrait" done in the photo booth. It was grainy. The contrast was super high. Seemed like a challenge.

I LOVE this one. Two things were learned. I did not use a blending stump or blending tortillion in any fashion, giving it a completely different feel. Also, the paper I used is marketed as being for charcoal. It has a very rough texture and gave it that grainy look I was hoping for.

I have been wanting to revisit this style for some time now. Maybe I should start one..

0 comments:

Post a Comment