"The aim of every artist is to arrest motion, which is life, by artificial means and hold it fixed so that a
hundred years later, when a stranger looks at it, it moves again since it is life."
-William Faulkner

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Carter

This is the one that started it all.

Las Vegas, 2006: I had just lost my job as a car salesman. Lost by choice, more or less. I had it in me to be a great salesman but I just couldn't stomach the idea of it. I didn't want to be defined by that. Before returning home to Utah, I rented a weekly room in the worst kind of roach motel you could think of. It was destitute, occupied by degenerates, and truly dirty. Perfect.

I found there a humbling sense of where I fit in the scheme of things. This place was necessary to knock me down a few notches on the ego ladder. It was quiet. There was no phone. No T.V. It allowed me to think, reflect, and.. draw.

The inner peace found in such an ugly setting was surprising, as was the result on paper. I found myself on that broken table, through my art. This was a portrait that was the product of my paradigm shift. Encouraging. When I draw now, it brings me to the same meditative state. This is my most important piece for all of these reasons.

0 comments:

Post a Comment